World
Union investigation confirms sexual harassment allegations against Placido Domingo

Union investigation confirms sexual harassment allegations against Placido Domingo

Feb 26, 2020

Los Angeles (USA) Feb 26: The American Guild of Musical Artists (AGMA) on Tuesday confirmed allegations of sexual harassment and discrimination against opera singer Placido Domingo.
"The investigation concluded that Mr. Domingo had, in fact, engaged in inappropriate activity, ranging from flirtation to sexual advances, in and outside of the workplace. Many of the witnesses expressed fear of retaliation in the industry as their reason for not coming forward sooner," said the AGMA in a statement, adding that its Board of Governors has accepted the findings of the report and will take appropriate action.
The AGMA announced last year that the union had retained an independent investigator to examine allegations of sexual harassment and discrimination made by AGMA members against the opera star.
"AGMA is the connective tissue of our industry. We owed it to our members to conduct this investigation," said AGMA President Raymond Menard in the statement.
"We must remain committed to confronting systemic problems which can cause our members to suffer unlawful discrimination and harassment at work, and to protecting the health and safety of our members in all AGMA signatory companies," Menard added.
AGMA National Executive Director Leonard Egert also noted in the statement that the AGMA's efforts to protect its members will not end with this investigation.
"AGMA is calling upon all companies in Opera, Dance, and Choral concert fields to join an industry-wide initiative to positively change the culture," said Egert. "This will ensure that artists feel respected and empowered to address sexual harassment and related issues going forward."
Domingo released a statement to The Los Angeles Times late Monday night, apologizing for his behavior that led to a series of sexual harassment allegations last summer and culminated in his resignation as general manager of Los Angeles Opera in October 2019.
"I have taken time over the last several months to reflect on the allegations that various colleagues of mine have made against me. I respect that these women finally felt comfortable enough to speak out, and I want them to know that I am truly sorry for the hurt that I caused them," Domingo was quoted by the paper as saying.
Domingo said in the statement that he accepts full responsibility for his actions.
Source: Xinhua News Agency